August Turak argues that the line between leaders and followers have blurred–that every good leader also needs to be a good follower, and vice versa. He offers these 11 suggestions for how to be a great follower who “follows by leading,” which he suggests are also great leadership traits:
- Seize the initiative by bringing forward fresh ideas.
- Create your own job by offering a plan of action to your boss before he asks for it or gives it.
- Be coachable by trying new things others suggest.
- Anticipate. Try to stay a step ahead of your boss.
- Communicate proactively and in writing.
- Use future goals to prioritize today’s activity.
- Show, don’t tell. Actions speak louder than words.
- Earn trust by keeping promises.
- Offer solutions.
- Be compassionate and sympathetic, especially toward your boss and his/her pressures.
- Be loyal and make your boss look good.
Authors: August Turak